[St. Gabriel Parish News] Parish News - The Advent Wreath - A Catholic Family Tradition

News from St. Gabriel Parish parishnews at lists.saintgabriel.net
Sat Nov 28 15:03:11 PST 2015

[Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Parish Logo]<http://www.saintgabriel.net/>

Saint Gabriel the Archangel Parish News
November 28, 2015

________________________________

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D129F4.C4690130]
                                         The Advent Wreath
                                        a Catholic Family Tradition
[cid:image004.png at 01D129F4.C4690130]Advent is just around the corner.  Now is a good time to go down into the deep dark recesses of your basement, or dig past the winter coats in your storage closet and bring our your Advent Wreath!  It is also time to make sure that you have the right number and color of candles.  This year Advent starts on the 29th of November.  If we all get started now, there should be enough time to get everything ready!
First, why an Advent Wreath?  What is its significance?  The short answer is the ring of evergreen used to form the wreath symbolizes two things.  First, the evergreens used to make the wreath signify continuous life.  And second, the circle of the wreath, which has no beginning or end, symbolizes the eternity of God, the immortality of the soul, and the everlasting life found in Christ.  Altogether, the wreath of evergreens depicts the immortality of our soul and the new, everlasting life promised to us through Christ, the eternal Word of the Father, who entered our world becoming true man and who was victorious over sin and death through His own passion, death, and resurrection.
There are four candles used with the Advent Wreath - three purple and one pink.  The four candles represent the four weeks of Advent.  The purple candles in particular symbolize the prayer, penance, and preparatory sacrifices and goods works undertaken at this time. The rose candle is lit on the third Sunday, Gaudete Sunday, when the priest and deacon wear rose vestments at Mass; Gaudete Sunday is the Sunday of rejoicing, because we have arrived at the midpoint of Advent, when our preparation is now half over and we are close to Christmas. The progressive lighting of the candles symbolizes the expectation and hope surrounding our Lord's first coming into the world and the anticipation of His second coming to judge the living and the dead.  The light from the candles signify Christ, the Light of the World.
It is customary to have an Advent Wreath in our homes.  The blessing of the wreath and the lighting of the candles normally happens during the main meal of the day.  The wreath should be blessed on the First Sunday of Advent.  This blessing is performed by the head of the household.  After the blessing, the first candle is lit.  Then, on the second Sunday, the first candle and the second purple candle is lt.  The third Sunday is when we light the rose (pink) candle.  So now, there are three candles burning while we eat.  Finally, on the fourth Sunday, all of the candles are lit.  When this happens, we know that our waiting, our anticipation, is nearing the end.  Christ is near!  Very soon we will celebrate the coming of our Lord and Savior.  Very soon, we will be chanting and singing, "Emmanuel!" "God is with us!"
Fr. Kirk, Fr, Jose, Deacon Ken, Deacon Pat, and I wish all of you a very blessed Advent Season!
Deacon Chris, Family Life Ministry
[cid:image005.png at 01D129F4.C4690130]

Advent Wreath Blessing
Leader:           In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit
All:                  Amen
Leader:           Our help is in the name of the Lord.
All:                  Who made heaven and earth.
Leader:           Lord our God, we praise you for your Son, Jesus Christ: he is Emmanuel, the hope of the peoples, he is the wisdom that teaches and guides us, he is the Savior of every nation.
Lord God, let your blessing come upon us as we light the candles of this wreath. May the wreath and its light be a sign of Christ's promise to bring us salvation. May he come quickly and not delay.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
All:                  Amen.

Prayer for lighting the purple candle, First Sunday of Advent
Leader:           All-powerful God, increase our strength of will for doing good that Christ may find an eager welcome at his coming and call us to his side in the kingdom of heaven, where he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit one God, forever and ever.
All:                  Amen.

Prayer for lighting the second purple candle, Second Sunday of Advent
Leader:           God of power and mercy open our hearts in welcome. Remove the things that hinder us from receiving Christ with joy so that we may share his wisdom and become one with him when he comes in glory, for he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever.
All:                  Amen.

Prayer for lighting the pink (rose) candle, Third Sunday of Advent
Leader:           Lord God, may we, your people, who look forward to the birthday of Christ experience the joy of salvation and celebrate that feast with love and thanksgiving. We ask this through Christ our Lord.
All:                  Amen.

Prayer for lighting the third purple candle, Fourth Sunday of Advent
Leader:           Father, all-powerful God, your eternal Word took flesh on our earth when the Virgin Mary placed her life at the service of your plan. Lift our minds in watchful hope to hear the voice which announces his glory and open our minds to receive the Spirit who prepares us for his coming. We ask this through Christ our Lord.
All:                  Amen.

Online Resource Links

*   Symbolon Sign-up<http://www.saintgabriel.net/ParishMinistries/ContinuingEducation/SymbolonAdultFaith.aspx>

*   Year of Marriage & Family<http://www.yearformarriageandfamily.com/>

*   Online Giving<https://www.myowngiving.com/Default.aspx?cid=1317>

*   Special Events Videos<http://www.saintgabriel.net/ParishMinistries/ParishMissionsSpecialEvents.aspx>

*   Y-Disciple Youth Ministry<http://www.saintgabriel.net/ParishMinistries/ContinuingEducation/YouthMinistryYDisciple.aspx>

This Weekend

Sunday:
- K of C Breakfast after the 8:30am Mass.
- No Adult Education class
Upcoming Events.

Wednesday, Dec 2: Eucharistic Adoration from 10am - 7pm. Pray the rosary and Divine Mercy chaplet after the 12:15 Mass. Children's hour at 2 pm. Pray the rosary at 6:15 pm. Evening Prayer and Benediction

Friday, Dec 4: Parish Office closed at 11am for Diocesan event. No First Friday Adoration. No Confession and no 12:15 Mass.
For more news and events
View the latest Bulletins online<http://www.saintgabriel.net/ParishInfo/Bulletins.aspx>

Saint Gabriel the Archangel Catholic Church
8755 Scarborough Dr.  Colorado Springs, CO 80920
Office: (719) 528-8407
www.saintgabriel.net<http://www.saintgabriel.net>