[St. Gabriel Parish News] Parish News-St. Gabriel the Archangel

News from St. Gabriel Parish parishnews at lists.saintgabriel.net
Fri Jan 31 10:48:24 PST 2020

[St. Gabriel the Archangel]<http://www.saintgabriel.net/>

Saint Gabriel the Archangel Parish News
January 31, 2019
________________________________

Beacon of Faith Campaign Update

Phase 1-Parish Hall

Total Families Donating: 574
Total Intentions Received: 348
Families Giving without Intentions: 221
Families who fulfilled/exceeded commitment: 318
Total intentions to date (including in kind):
$ 2,092,436.44
Total amount collected to date: $ 1,584,938.48

There is still time to get your pledge in. Just go to
http://www.saintgabriel.net/commitment-form and fill in the form.
[b of f]

________________________________

Blessing of the Throats
On Monday, February 3, our deacons will offer a Liturgy of the Word and blessing of the throat in honor of St. Blaise.
7:00 AM - Dcn Dave
6:30 PM - Dcn Mike
St. Blaise was the Bishop of Sebaste in Armenia who suffered martyrdom under Licinius about AD 316. One reason for St. Blaise's popularity arose from the fact he was a physician who cured, even performing miraculous cures. Thereby, those who were sick, especially with throat ailments, invoked his intercession. Eventually the custom of the blessing of throats arose, whereby the priest held two crossed candles over the heads of the faithful or touched their throats with them while he invoked the prayer of the saint and imparted God's blessing. This practice continues in many parishes on St. Blaise's feast day.
While we invoke St. Blaise for his protection against any physical ailment of the throat, we should also ask is protection against any spiritual ailment — profanity, cursing, unkind remarks, detraction or gossip. St. James reminds us, "If a man who does not control his tongue imagines that he is devout, he is self-deceived; his worship is pointless" (1:26) and later, "We use [the tongue] to say, Praised be the Lord and Father'; then we use it to curse men, though they are made in the likeness of God. Blessing and curse come out of the same mouth. This ought not to be, my brothers!" (3:9-10). Therefore, may St. Blaise protect us from all evil, physical and spiritual, which may attack the throat.
________________________________

Presentation of the Lord - Blessing of Candles
On the weekend of Feb 2, forty days after the joyful feast of the Nativity of the Lord, we will celebrate the blessed day when Jesus was presented in the Temple by Mary and Joseph.  At the beginning of the 5:00 PM Mass, the priest will bless the candles used in our liturgy.  Please bring the candles you will use for prayer in your home, and they will also be blessed. This blessing will occur only at the 5:00 PM Mass.  The parish will also have 6-day devotional candles for sale, $3 each, with suggestions on how to use them in marking the holy days of the liturgical year.
________________________________

New Online Giving Portal
Online giving at St. Gabriel the Archangel is evolving with new technology. As of Feb. 1, 2020 we hope to have transitioned all of parish members who have given online in the past to our new improved online portal.
Once you have setup your new online giving account the parish office will deactivate your old online account automatically.  By switching portals the parish benefits by saving in processing fees and reduced staff accounting time.   To get started visit our website at www.saintgabriel.net<http://www.saintgabriel.net> and press on the RED Online Giving tab.
 Many new features help make giving easier/faster to the Work of our Hands offertory and (BOF) capital campaign.  It also gives you the option of text to give.    Text to give: (719)-259-1165   Simply text the word GIVE and it will return a link to sign your phone up for online giving.  We are very grateful for your support of The Work of Our Hands.   If you have questions, please contact Marc Lanning: mlanning at saintgabriel.net<mailto:mlanning at saintgabriel.net>
________________________________
Childcare Help needed
St. Gabriel’s is looking for childcare/nursery providers for special events.
Must be age 21 or over. Nursery providers will be paid.
If you are interested in being a part of the team, please contact Kim at 528-8407.

Online Resource Links

•   FORMED Sign-up<http://formed.org/register/#/registration/individual?parishCode=ef46a3>

•   Online Giving<https://www.myowngiving.com/Default.aspx?cid=1317>

•   Y-Disciple Youth Ministry<http://www.saintgabriel.net/ParishMinistries/ContinuingEducation/YouthMinistryYDisciple.aspx>

This Weekend

Sat/Sun: Fair Trade Coffee and Chocolate for sale after Masses.

Sun: RCIC/YSF/RCIA 9:45-11:15am.

Sun: Faith Formation Grades K-5 11:45am-1:15pm.

Sun: Faith Formation Grades 6-Confirmation 2:30-4pm.

Upcoming Events
Mon, Feb 3: Blessing of the Throats 7am and 6:30pm.
Mon, Feb 3: Faith Formation Grades K-7 4:30-6pm.
Mon, Feb 3: Biblical School Yr. 2 6:30pm.
Mon, Feb 3: Fulfilled Bible Study begins 7pm.
Tues, Feb 4: Bible Study 9:30am.
Tues, Feb 4: Respect Life Meeting 6pm.
Tues, Feb 4: Outreach Committee Meeting 7pm.
Wed, Feb 5: Magnificat Moms Meeting 9:30am.

Wed, Feb 5: Eucharistic Adoration 10am-7pm. Pray the Rosary at 6pm. Evening Prayer and Benediction at 6:30pm.

Wed, Feb 5: Children’s Choir 5:15pm.

Wed, Feb 5: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree Meeting 7pm.

Thurs, Feb 6: Financial Peace University 6pm.

Thurs, Feb 6: First Communion Parent Class 6:30pm.

Fri, Feb 7: First Friday Adoration 10am-12pm.

Save the Date

Feb 8: Women’s Conference.

Feb 11: Senior Social Group Meeting 12pm at Shangri-la.

Feb 11: Health and Safety Team Meeting 7pm. All are Welcome.

Feb 13: First Communion Parent Meeting 6:30pm.

Feb 15-16: Middle School Rally.

Feb 15: Christian Marriage and Prayer Dinner 6pm.

Feb 18: Spanish and English Baptism Class 8:30am-12:30pm.

Feb 22-23: Family Consecration to the Holy Family.

For more news and events
View the latest Bulletins online<http://www.saintgabriel.net/parish-info/bulletins>

Saint Gabriel the Archangel Catholic Church
8755 Scarborough Dr.  Colorado Springs, CO 80920
Office: (719) 528-8407
www.saintgabriel.net<http://www.saintgabriel.net/>