[St. Gabriel Parish News] Saint Gabriel Building Design Update

News from St. Gabriel Parish parishnews at lists.saintgabriel.net
Sun Jan 1 08:39:17 PST 2017

[cid:image001.png at 01D26412.5A667A20]<http://www.saintgabriel.net/>

Saint Gabriel Building Design Update
January 1, 2017

________________________________
Dear Friends in Christ,

Our building planning is proceeding on schedule and with great excitement!  On behalf of all the members of the leadership teams who are working on all the different aspects of our project, I invite you to spend some time with the presentation materials from our last presentation on December 10th.  The summary and video of the presentation by our architect, Adam Hermanson of Integration Design Group, give a broad overview of the theology, ideas and concepts that we are considering as we work on our design.

As always, please continue to pray for our team, our parish, and for the success of our project.

May God bless you the Christmas Season!

Fr. Kirk

________________________________
[cid:image017.png at 01D26412.79820A00]Architectural Expression of Our Spiritual Call to Evangelization
"We shape our buildings, and then they shape us."  Winston Churchill
Since our formation, our parish has always hopefully envisioned that one day we would finally realize our goal of a permanent Church and supporting facilities.  Through the generosity and efforts of our founding members, we took our first step in that direction through the construction of our current facility.  And for many years it has served us well as we have grown.  But it was never intended to be the final stop on our journey, and we are now faced with the realities of its limitations as we continue to grow and expand our ministries.  We have been blessed by the vibrant and faith-filled people of our community, and their passion for actively living our faith is attracting so many more through our doors!
So it is that we, the parish of St. Gabriel the Archangel Catholic Church, now embark on a mission to take the next step in our development; the next step in defining of our legacy as a Catholic community in Colorado Springs.  This next step is intended to be both practical and demonstrative.  This next step honors the efforts of the past, and invites us to envision who we are called to be. This next step is intended to be defined by our mission.
As a Catholic community, we are called to evangelization, just as Gabriel announced the coming of Christ Jesus. So too, should our architecture share this call to evangelization.  When carefully planned and executed, through their form, buildings communicate and inspire. Through their function, they serve and facilitate. We have been committed to this tenet from the conception of this plan.
Recognizing the astounding potential of our present campus, with its prominent location and views over the city, we have chosen to adopt as a metaphor for our design intention, "A Beacon of Faith."  As the Gospel of Matthew states: "You are the light of the world.  A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.  Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house.  Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father." - Mt 5:14-16.   As a "Beacon of Faith," the architecture of our campus should not only meet our practical needs, but be expressive, transparent, welcoming and designed to inspire our parishioners to carry their faith into the community.
[Rock N Roll Adventures]Our architecture should boldly proclaim who we are and what is important to us, in a way that is similar to our annual Briarfest celebration.  As a public event, Briarfest makes a statement to the surrounding community.  It calls out to the community to join with us. It celebrates our commitment to our community, and puts on display our sense of service to others. This is an event that is transparent, genuine and honest. It reflects just a part of who we are, and the values we hold, but it perfectly reflects our call to evangelization.
In thoughtful consideration of the above, what we do throughout this campus expansion will reflect this calling in the same way. Our design concept is founded in these identical principles and is intended to communicate and foster evangelization through the following:

  *   The plan will be organized with the sanctuary and nave located at the center or heart of the campus, and all ministries, fellowship, administrative and support spaces will radiate from this center. The significance of the church itself physically located at the heart of the campus is appropriate because it is here where we celebrate the sacraments and experience the physical presence of the Eucharist. In addition, the massing of the buildings will reinforce the primacy of the sanctuary and nave with these spaces being elevated above all others.
  *   Spaces will be created to foster fellowship. This is derived as a result of creating spaces of the correct size and configuration, creating strategic adjacencies between spaces and finishing spaces in a fashion to encourage collaboration. The fellowship hall and kitchen facilities to serve it will be an important part.
  *   [cid:image019.png at 01D26412.79820A00] Parking will wrap the buildings, but all entries will lead to the Narthex, creating a confluence for gathering and encounters, both before and after the Mass, classes, events, etc. Moreover, from the streets below, the community will see a network of pathways that lead to the building, inviting them to come join our community.
  *   In a gesture to mark the parish's commitment to the Confraternity of the Shroud, and the ongoing efforts to make it a national place of pilgrimage, the campus will provide a place of permanency for the display, study and celebration of the shroud.  The dedicated shroud center will be distinct and identifiable, but also be interlaced within the parish itself so that the ministry of the shroud becomes yet another source of evangelization for the parish.
  *   Our design proposes to add important iconography to the campus in order to communicate purpose and mission to the community. Bell towers, a crucifix, statuary and other imagery will manifestly mark this campus as a place of Catholic worship and service.
  *   [GROUPN] Today the nave and sanctuary reside in space originally intended as fellowship space, defined by an industrial/agrarian aesthetic. A fundamental part of this building campaign seeks to re-create this space into an environment that is expressively sacred as a Domus Dei (House of God).  As a sacred space, it should place the focus on the object of our worship. And while we acknowledge that God cannot be contained in a building, He has chosen to make Himself known to people in sacred places from the earliest times.  Church architecture then serves as an icon of the eternal and spiritual realities around us, and to facilitate a relationship between God and His people. The design intent of this project will be the sanctification of this space in a way that honors the true presence of Christ among us.
  *   [https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M837b8ea3b94378331a921178a4e7c6d3o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300] <https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8pcp.DFYjiMAmZiJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIzcDNkcTdnBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANlOWM4YTRhNDQyN2UzMWZkMmJhYmQwOGJhNjk1MWEyYgRncG9zAzU0BGl0A2Jpbmc-?.origin=&back=https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p%3Dmonstrance%2Bcatholic%2Bchurch%26fr%3Dyfp-t-s%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D54&w=207&h=300&imgurl=www.stmartinoftourschurch.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Monstrance-in-Adoration-Chapel-207x300.jpg&rurl=http://www.stmartinoftourschurch.org/sample-page/perpetual-eucharistic-adoration/&size=15.8KB&name=Adoration+Chapel+|+St.+Martin+of+Tours+%3cb%3eCatholic%3c/b%3e+%3cb%3eChurch%3c/b%3e&p=monstrance+catholic+church&oid=e9c8a4a4427e31fd2babd08ba6951a2b&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-s&tt=Adoration+Chapel+|+St.+Martin+of+Tours+%3cb%3eCatholic%3c/b%3e+%3cb%3eChurch%3c/b%3e&b=0&ni=21&no=54&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12htfn9n2&sigb=13j83dm4i&sigi=133p9ren7&sigt=124f7v9sj&sign=124f7v9sj&.crumb=UfHQ5qE.coF&fr=yfp-t-s&fr2=piv-web> Daily worship and Eucharistic devotion are already important parts of our parish life. The creation of an adoration chapel formalizes this great institution of faith for the parish, and communicates the importance of personal prayer and reflection for each of us in our daily lives.  A chapel also allows us to consider expanding into perpetual adoration.
  *   Our design proposes to balance all of the above in a way that represents our appreciation for the gifts that God has given us, and which stewards them well.

A Prayer for Our Parish<http://www.saintgabriel.net/mission-forward/mission-forward-home>
[cid:image022.jpg at 01D26412.79820A00]<http://www.saintgabriel.net/mission-forward-home>
View the Parish Architectural Presentation from December 10th on the Parish website.

        [cid:image023.png at 01D26412.79820A00] <http://www.saintgabriel.net/mission-assessment>

Mission Forward - Building Resources
[Mission Forward Home]<http://www.saintgabriel.net/mission-forward-home>Mission Forward Home<http://www.saintgabriel.net/mission-forward-home> -     Overview
[Planning and Development Teams]Planning and Development Teams<http://www.saintgabriel.net/planning-and-development-teams> -
Building Teams
[Mission Assessment]Mission Assessment<http://www.saintgabriel.net/mission-assessment> -     Updated Videos & Materials
[Project Timeline]Project Timeline<http://www.saintgabriel.net/project-timeline> -         Timelines
[Capital Campaign Team]Capital Campaign Team<http://www.saintgabriel.net/capital-campaign-team> - Resources

Saint Gabriel the Archangel Catholic Church
8755 Scarborough Dr.  Colorado Springs, CO 80920
Office: (719) 528-8407
www.saintgabriel.net<http://www.saintgabriel.net>