[St. Gabriel Parish News] Parish News-St. Gabriel the Archangel

News from St. Gabriel Parish parishnews at lists.saintgabriel.net
Fri Oct 5 10:19:53 PDT 2018

[St. Gabriel the Archangel]<http://www.saintgabriel.net/>

Saint Gabriel the Archangel Parish News
October 5, 2018

________________________________

Veneration of Relics of Divine Mercy Saint
 St. Gabriel’s will be hosting the relics of St. John Paul II and St. Faustina on Friday, October 5, the feast day of St. Faustina. Relics will be on display from 10:00 am to 6:00pm and will be followed by a Pizza and Movie night showing the movie, Power in My Hands, created by the Rosary Evangelization Apostolate.
________________________________
There will be a special second collection taken during the weekend of October 6/7.

 The funds collected in this special appeal for 2018 Disasters will be used to support the efforts of Catholic Charities USA and/or Catholic Relief Services, the official relief agencies of the US Catholic Church, as they and their local agencies respond to immediate emergency needs for such necessities as water, food, shelter, and medical care and aid in long-term rebuilding and recovery efforts, and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops for pastoral and reconstruction needs of the Church.  Funds will be used in response to Hurricane Florence and any other natural disasters that occur this year.

________________________________

Liturgical Ministry Fair

Save the Date:  The parish will hold a liturgical ministry fair after all Masses next weekend, Oct 6/7.  Prayerfully consider how you can step up to serve the Mass.  Every ministry needs volunteers:  Environment, Sacristans, Sound Tech, Ushers, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, Altar Servers, Music, Readers, and Commentators.  This is a great way to get involved in the parish, and we’d love to share more information on what’s involved and offer training.  Contact Kathy Thomas at kthomas at saintgabriel.net for more information.

________________________________

Pet Blessing

Join Deacon Mike for a Blessing of the Animals at 10:00am on Saturday, October 6. We’ll gather our creatures, great and small, in front of the church for a special blessing, in honor of St. Francis of Assisi, whose feast is Oct. 4. All animals are welcome!

<mailto:chipreny at comcast.net>

<mailto:chipreny at comcast.net>
________________________________

Knights of Columbus Council 12335 Youth Soccer Challenge Competition, October 13th, 10-12 AM, Liberty High School Field

All boys and girls ages 9-14 are invited to participate in our local level 2018 Knights of Columbus Soccer Challenge. The Challenge is sponsored annually, and winners can progress through local, district, and state-level competitions. Our local competition will be held October 13, 2018, 10:00 AM to Noon, at Liberty High School Field.  This event will occur rain or shine.

Players participate within age brackets which are determined by the age of the contestant as of September 1. Proof of age (e.g. birth certificate) and parental consent are required with the entry forms at registration the day of the event. The Challenge is designed for players to demonstrate a basic soccer skill — the penalty kick.  Each player receives three practice kicks followed by 15 consecutive kicks at the goal from the penalty line (12 yards from the goal.)  All age groups kick from the same line.

Ages 9, 10,11 (Boys & Girls Competitions) will use a regulation-size soccer ball (size #4).  Ages 12,13,14 (Boys & Girls Competitions) will use a regulation-size soccer ball (size #5). Scoring will be judged based on the goal viewed as five scoring zones (upper corners worth 20-points;  lower corners 10-points; and, central region is a five-point zone.)

For players who advance from local and district events, the state-level soccer challenge will be scheduled here in Colorado Springs, the afternoon of November 3rd at St Mary High School Grace Center Field.

________________________________

Every Life: Cherished, Chosen, Sent

This weekend, Catholics nationwide celebrate Respect Life Sunday with the theme "Every Life:

Cherished, Chosen, Sent." October is Respect Life month and there are many activities going on in the Diocese such as 40 Days for Life, Roses for Life, the Life Chain, and the Bishop’s Respect Life Dinner.  The table in the Narthex has information on all of these events and more.  Also displayed are pictures of live children in the womb, and those same children after birth.   Thanks to my grandchildren for being the models for these beautiful pictures of life.  If you would like more information on the Respect Life Program, please contact Angel McGrady, admcgrady at gmail.com

________________________________

Save the date: 2018 Saint Gabriel Craft Fair

Saturday, November 10, 2018

8:30am -3:00pm

Proceeds support YDisciple!

________________________________
Walk with the Martyrs

Friday, October 26 from 5-9pm

5pm: Trunk or Treat

6pm: Mass

7pm: Potluck Dinner  Last Name A-M: Main Dish and N-Z: Side Dish or Dessert

7:30-9pm: Walk with the Martyrs skits

For more information contact the office 528-8407 or email kseiler at saintgabriel.net.

*Need families to provide a decorated car for Trunk or Treat. Church will provide the candy. Contact Cindy to RSVP.

________________________________

Marian House Volunteers

Did you know St. Gabriel has a group of volunteers the 2nd Thursday of each month at the Marian House? We provide assistance in the daily meal preparation, service and cleanup and we would love for you to join us! There are two shifts available, either 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. or 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The minimum age to participate is 16, however if you are younger you may be able to with a parent volunteer present. Our next scheduled day is Thursday, October 11th. Contact Cyndy Pylkka, ccjsp at comcast.net<mailto:ccjsp at comcast.net> or 719-964-6575 if interested.

Online Resource Links

•   FORMED Sign-up<http://formed.org/register/#/registration/individual?parishCode=ef46a3>

•   Online Giving<https://www.myowngiving.com/Default.aspx?cid=1317>

•   Y-Disciple Youth Ministry<http://www.saintgabriel.net/ParishMinistries/ContinuingEducation/YouthMinistryYDisciple.aspx>

This Weekend

Fri: Relics of St. John Paul II and St. Faustina on display 10am-6pm.

Fri: Pizza and Movie Night "Power in my Hands" 6pm.

Fri: Altar Server Training 6-7:30pm.

Sat: Pet Blessing 10am.

Sat: Altar Server Training 10-11:30am.

Sat-Sun: Fair Trade Coffee and Chocolate for Sale after Masses.

Sat-Sun: Liturgical Ministry Fair after Masses.

Sun: RCIC class 9:45-11:15am.

Sun: YSF class 9:45-11:15am.

Sun, Oct 7: Financial Peace University 1:30-3:30pm.

Sun: Faith Formation grades 6-Confirmation 2:30-4pm.

Sun: YDisciples 5:45-7:15pm.

Upcoming Events

Mon, Oct 8: Faith Fomation grades 6-7 4:30-6pm.

Mon, Oct 8: Biblical School 6:30pm.

Mon, Oct 8: Health & Safety Team Meeting 7pm.

Tues, Oct 9: ESL Class 9am.

Tues, Oct 9: EPIC: A Journey through Church History Bible Study 9:30am.

Tues, Oct 9: SoulCore 9-10am.

Wed, Oct 10: Magnificat Moms Meeting 9:30am.

Wed, Oct 10: Eucharistic Adoration as scheduled. Pray the Rosary at 6:15pm. Evening Prayer and Benediction starts at 6:40pm.

Wed, Oct 10: Children's Choir 5:15pm.

Wed, Oct 10: Knights of Columbus Meeting 7pm.

Thurs, Oct 11: ESL Class 9am.

Thurs, Oct 11: Pastoral Council Meeting 6:30pm.

Fri, Oct 12: Divine Mercy Cenacle after 12:15 Mass.

Sat, Oct 13: Faith Formation Kid Zone for Sunday K-5 and Monday K-5 from 9-11:30am.

Save the Date

Oct 16: Respect Life Dinner at the Broadmoor.

Oct 19: Date Night 6-8pm.

Oct 20: Spanish and English Baptism Class 8:30am-12:30pm.

Oct 20: CPR Class 9am-1pm. chipreny at comcast.net

Oct 26: Walk with the Martyrs 6pm.

Oct 27-28: Olive Wood from Bethlehem for sale after all Masses.

Oct 27: Iron Sharpens Iron Men's Breakfast 8:30-10:30am.

Oct 28: Knights of Columbus Free Breakfast after 8:30am Mass.

Oct 29: Ushers and Health & Safety Team combined meeting 7pm.

Nov 10: Saint Gabriel Craft Fair 8:30am-3pm.

Nov 17: Men's Conference from 12:30-5pm at Saint Gabriel.

Jan 12,2019: Women's Conference.

For more news and events
View the latest Bulletins online<http://www.saintgabriel.net/parish-info/bulletins>

Saint Gabriel the Archangel Catholic Church
8755 Scarborough Dr.  Colorado Springs, CO 80920
Office: (719) 528-8407
www.saintgabriel.net<http://www.saintgabriel.net/>